Sunday, May 10, 2009

Lord Willing


I have been bothered by this expression. A friend states a plan or intention and adds the comment “Lord willing”. It has sounded religious and affected. I have thought to myself “of course I will see you next weekend” or “you will most certainly get to do what you are so eagerly planning”.

But events within the last couple of weeks have caused me to re-examine, once again, how I look upon “tomorrow”:

1. My son nearly collided with two moose after dark in his drive to a new job in Thunder Bay. A passing transport’s lights alerted him.
2. My daughter has watched her place of employment dwindle to a tenuous skeletal staff in a couple of months in a threatening economy.
3. A friend had his two daughters involved in a head-on car collision, which totaled their new vehicle. They walked away with only seat-belt bruises.
4. An over-looked expense turned my month-end budget into a bird’s nest of juggling and excuses.

Consider the message in James 4:13-15:
Go to now, ye that say, Today or tomorrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this or that.

So there I am, realizing myself and loved ones, in the hand of God, day by day. Accept it, Doug. Be humbled by it. Trust in this loving Lord by whom “all things consist”. (Colossians 1:17b) We still are operating in a hazardous fallen world.