Monday, April 13, 2009

Dare I Venture?


Could one ever confidently and briefly summarize the major themes of scripture? Probably not. Nevertheless, I offer the following six recurring messages which have often come to me:
1) God is love. (1 John 4)
2) When I see the blood I will pass over you. (Exodus 12)
3) I have found a ransom. (Job 33)
4) In wrath remember mercy. (Habakkuk 3)
5) I have called thee by name. Thou art mine. (Isaiah 43)
6) Thou hast ravished my heart, my sister, my spouse. (Song of Solomon 4:9a)

It is also interesting to note that the middle verse of the entire Bible is Psalm 118:8 - "It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man." (NIV)

Deutero-Isaiah, chapters 40 to 66, has often been called the Fifth Gospel because of its many foreshadowings of Jesus as servant-redeemer. The middle verse of this section of prophecy is Isaiah 53:6 which reads as follows:
"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all."