Saturday, April 11, 2009

It's That Easy


I was doing my part-time stint at the grocery store, stacking milk, rotating stock, guiding customers to desired purchases. It was a holiday season and particularly busy. The little woman shuffled past me trying to remain invisible but obviously troubled about something. Clothing simple. Hair grooming simple. Facial expression simple. Obviously she was not used to drawing attention. Neither was she used to smiling. I noticed her teeth.

A moment or so later, I approached her to render the company’s “May I help you find something?” She did not want to make eye contact, but I was determined. I have made it a point to establish with customers that they have my time and attention.

I could see her warming just a little and I carried on to enumerate her options and guide her to various locations. I suggested that she take her time and give me a shout if there were any other questions. Standard procedure.

A few moments later I was surprised to hear a resounding “Happy Easter!” and I turned to see the woman smiling broadly and giving me full-faced attention. I returned the greeting and waved. Friends. To be frank, I was disappointed with myself. Was it really that easy to light up a life? Simple courtesy? Simple affirmation? Were there not dozens of opportunities to do the same in any day? It came as almost a slap in the face.

Simultaneously I had a flashback to my dear old high school English teacher, Miss Wyatt. She had a knack for affirming students. I would see her shuffling down the hall to class stooped over with her bundle of books. If I called, or any other student, she would stop, look up, establish eye contact, smile in a sparkling sort of way and give of her time. I never forgot her. She went to our church. She roomed for a time in hospital with a relative of ours. She let her light shine, and others were changed.